If you come to a fork in the road, take it.
Summer time always brings travel with the warm weather and festive holidays. Whether you’re heading to the lake or staying put (like me), it’s always nice to have a travel food plan in place for those road stop lunches.
Making my way through Kansas and Oklahoma, I have found that there is a plethora of Subway and McDonald restaurants, which means I needed a go-to game plan. I did my homework and found the best options at each of those restaurants. Here is what I chose on the road:
- 6” Oven Roasted Chicken Breast for 320 calories
- 6” Veggie Delight for 230 calories
- 6” Turkey Breast for 280 calories
- 6” Ham for 290 calories
I always chose honey oat bread, load up with tons of veggies, and pick mustard as my dressing. Since the sandwiches are so low in calories, I even make it a meal with a bag of Baked Lays and a diet drink. You get a lot of bang for your buck at Subway.
- Premium Grilled Chicken Classic Sandwich for 350 calories
- Chicken McNugget Kid’s Meal for 420 calories
- Cheeseburger Kid’s Meal for 530 calories
- Fruit ‘n Yogurt Parfait for 150 calories
- Vanilla Reduced Fat Ice Cream Cone for 170 calories
Most people don’t chose McDonalds for their healthy choices, but a grilled chicken sandwich is always a good selection if it is just topped with lettuce and tomato. For those of you wanting a fast food treat, the Kid’s Meals offer a taste of the real thing for a fraction of the calories. Now treats are another story. I can’t get enough of their Vanilla Ice Cream Cones and Fruit ‘n Yogurt Parfaits. Well done McDonalds.
I hope everyone has safe travels for the holiday, and I hope this Travel Food Plan comes in handy while dinning out.
What is your favorite pit stop location?