I’ll bet living in a nudist colony takes all the fun out of Halloween.
Magic seems to be in the air this time of the year. Everyone is smiling and plotting about their next great costume. Kids are eagerly waiting for the one night where candy is handed out like apples, and we are surrounded by pumpkin influences everywhere we look. If you are like me and buy into everything about this season, you might already have a stash of Halloween candy of your own. If not, there is almost a guarantee that you will have some leftover candy stock piled after the big event.
For those of you adults that want to indulge but keep the calories in check for our newfound metabolisms, I have just the treat for you.
Halloween Candy Apples
2 Granny Smith Apples
1 cup caramels (I used Kraft Premium Caramel Bits)
1 ½ Tablespoons water
10 fun-sized candy bars
8 Popsicle Sticks or toothpicks
1. Cut apples into small wedges and remove the core.
2. Insert Popsicle Stick into one end of the apple wedge.
3. Chop up your favorite candy bars into small pieces to decorate the apples with.
4. Cover large plate with waxed paper and coat with cooking spray.
5. Place caramel into medium saucepan. Add water and cook on medium-low heat for three minutes or until caramel have completely melted, stirring constantly.
6. Dip apples into melted caramel until evenly coated, spooning caramel over apples.
7. Sprinkle candy on top of apple wedges. Refrigerate at least one hour before serving.
I look forward to eating Caramel Apples at Halloween each year, but indulging in the large candy-coated treat leaves me feeling a little guilty. With these bite-sized wedges, the guilt is gone.
For the chocolate lovers out there, try melting some fun-sized Hershey bars and drizzling them over the apple pieces for a real treat.
It’s easy to pop a few too many candy bars in your mouth before realizing how far you have gone, but with addition of the crunchy apples, you can really stretch your favorite treats.
What is your favorite Halloween candy?